Web Analytics

October 2, 2014

Discovering and understanding your lifelong passion(s)



First and foremost, Matthew McConaughey is a fellow brother of Delta Tau Delta, so it goes without saying that he's a pretty awesome guy. However, his overall awesomeness goes well beyond his status as a Delt and his roles in Dazed and Confused (1993) and The Wolf on Wall Street (2013).

In his conversation with the University of Texas football team, which turned into a quasi-preach part way through, McConaughey brings up a stellar question about our purpose in life, as well as how we perceive and understand what we value in both the short-term and long-term. The question that McConaughey asks the Longhorns football team is this:

Why we do what we do?

In his conversation with the University of Texas football team, which turned into a quasi-preach part way through, McConaughey brings up a stellar question about our purpose in life, as well as how we perceive and understand what we value in both the short-term and long-term. The question that McConaughey asks the Longhorns football team is this:


Why we do what we do?

I frequently ask myself this very question. Sometimes I ask it without even knowing that I'm asking it. Yes, it's become the opposite of metacognition...chew on that one for a bit! Regardless, this is a superb question to keep in mind because no matter what you do, or how you spend your time, it is vital that you not only do so with a purpose, but that you enjoy what you do with your life.

McConaughey makes 2 clear points during his chat with the Longhorns that really stuck with me:

  1. In order to achieve your best work, you must push yourself beyond your comfort zone.
  2. No matter what you find yourself doing in life, you have to go about your business simply because you want to, not because you want to please someone else.
I've come to understand through my brief post-graduate life that the last thing I want to find myself doing is something that I do not enjoy. More importantly, I strive to always do things that I genuinely enjoy and avoid tasks that are only appealing because my involvement may influence how others perceive me as a human being and young professional.

Like all good things, there is no magic pill that will help you find your passion in life. These sort of things take quite a bit of time, so do not fret or freak out if you stumble a few times. In fact, I'm in the midst of a soft stumble in life right now. Marc Hanna, McConaughey's character in "The Wolf on Wall Street", sums up my approach to discovering my passion in life: "It's his first day on Wall Street. Give him time." 

Lastly, don't forget to have a good time and make sure to hum before you go into any potentially nerve wracking situation!




Web Analytics